Saturday, May 4, 2013

What happens when I drive....

When I drive, God talks to me. Not always, of course, and most often it's nothing profound.  But I've found that if I make the space to hear, there's often something to listen to.  So I tend to drive in silence; no radio, no CD, nothing. Just me and the possibility of God.

And it's when I decided to take a scenic drive through the back roads of Washington County as I was leaving my chiropractor's office this past Wednesday, enjoying the warmth of the sun coming through my moon roof and thinking that I should have put some sunscreen on before I left the house, that the directive to write a blog came to me.  I have to be honest and tell you that I've thought about it before, but I knew that blogging meant a commitment, and I just wasn't prepared to make that commitment back then. (I also wasn't sure I had anything worth writing about that others would want to read!)  So when I first heard: "You need to write a blog."  I felt myself resist and push against it. I found myself coming up with every excuse I could think of to convince myself that I really couldn't do what I'd just heard I now need to do. (Sometimes I purposely drive with the radio on, just so I can't hear what God is trying to tell me!)

If you remember, it was my decision last Mother's Day to drive to Niagara Falls that lead me to a much longer drive to Alaska because during that drive, in the quiet spaces between ego's wanderings and the electronic voice of my GPS giving me directions, God said "You need to drive to Alaska."  Interestingly enough,  as I  think back now, I never tried to talk myself out of that one!

I've spent the last few days since that message came to me just tossing the idea around. I actually took another drive on Thursday and went up to the cemetery in Hermitage , Pa, to put flowers on my mom's grave for Mother's Day.  I find that I go there often, just because driving clears my mind and it's a destination to head to that doesn't require a great deal of thought and preparation. Also, there's a wonderful peaceful park there, Buhl Park, that has a fitness path that my mom used to frequent, and a path around the lake, Lake Julia,  where there are swans and ducks to watch while sitting on the benches that have been thoughtfully provided.

I walked around the lake and eventually found myself sitting on one of those benches,  feeling the sun warming my skin and again wishing I had sunscreen, as I thought more deeply about writing a blog. And before I knew it, or could stop myself, I heard myself say out loud: "Okay, God, I'll do it. I'm making a commitment to you right now that I will write a blog. You just better make sure you give me words to write that people will want to read."  And as tears leaked slowly from the corners of my eyes, I took a quick look around to make sure there was no one around who had heard me!

I'm not sure what you'll find when you come here, if you come here at all, but I promise you I'll tell it like it is for me. I'll share my tears as well as my laughter, the mundane as well as the mystical (And there's much more mundane than mystical, I hope you  know that!), my doubts as well as my faith, my failures as well as my successes ( Although if you know me, you know that I don't believe in failure, just that it was God's outcome for my choice rather than the outcome I envisioned.). 

As I said at the end of the email when I shared with you that I wasn't moving to Nashville right now after all, I believe that since we're all connected, as I walk my path, you're walking with me, and what I experience impacts each of you also, in your own unique way, just as what you experience impacts me.  So I will share my thoughts, my insights and any inspirations that come to me as I make the journey, hopeful they provide something helpful for your needs as well, and I look forward to hearing anything you might want to share about your own experiences that might help me or anyone else who joins us here.  There's so much wisdom among us, and the more we share, the more easily we can all walk the paths before us.

Talk to you soon!
Bonnie









11 comments:

  1. Well, dear friend, thanks for inviting us on your journey. You have made such a tremendous difference in mine. I admire you for sharing with us, and for having the courage to do whatever God asks, whether it is what you envisioned or not. Then the extra courage to share it with all of us. I have heard some of what God is saying, I'm just trying to muster the courage to do it. I'm looking forward to whatever you are going to write, because I have no doubt it is getting you ready for bigger and better things...books and all! Love & hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. And what's so interesting to me, is that once I start to write, there are a whole lot more words than I thought there were! Hmmmmmm.....

      Delete
  2. So happy you are doing this. You have already been such a huge part of my journey. I'll be looking forward to reading more of your adventures!~T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tony. Let's just hope another drive to Alaska isn't in the cards quite yet! I'd like to 'adventure' a bit closer to home for a while. :)

      Delete
  3. It was so great to hear from you Bonnie. I look forward to what you write, as you know, I have read many of your emails as you traveled to Alaska. Plus there were wonderful photos to go with it. You have a wonderful way of capturing the moments and putting them in writing. I could see you writing books. No need to look for photos cause God has supplied you with the most beautiful photos ready for printing. Photos from your travel to Alaska. What a blessing it has been to have you in my life. I have also heard a change for me and not sure quick how to go about it. I heard this morning I am to help rescued horses by giving them Reiki. I have felt for sometime now, I need to learn how to care for horses. I have only rode a horse once in my life but I have always loved the beauty of the horse. The grace in which they run in the wild. The love you can see through their eyes as if they are connecting to you in spirit. I heard I was also to mention this to you. I was also told, I would be guided to where I could volunteer giving Reiki to horses. I am to also stay working at my job at this time. May God continue to guide you on this journey. I can see the Angels surrounding you as you put your words into writing. I can say this much, you inspire me just by your trusting in God and his guidance. Thank you once again for letting us be a part in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Kathleen Prasad's website Animal Reiki Source. It is fabulous. I took her Equine Reiki class last summer and her Animal Reiki Teacher class in February. She is great! Her animal Reiki books are fabulous as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Deblio, I will look into it. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Rebecca. And perhaps the reason you were supposed to mention the horses to me was because I just recently saw a story on WTAE about a horse rescue group called Equine Angels rescue from Cabot, Pa. You can find out more about them by going to their website: equineangelsrescue.inc@gmail.com
      Their phone # is 412-629-3545. Good luck with these, and please let me know what happens when you connect.
      blessings,
      Bonnie

      Delete
    4. You are welcome Bonnie! Thank you so much for the information. I just love what you are doing. I will give them a call and let you know how everything works out.

      Rebecca

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with what Rebecca said. Just watching you trust and follow divine guidance is instant inspiration for me to do the same. Seeing someone else farther down the path making bigger leaps helps me to prepare me for mine in the now. Therefore, I encourage you to keep sharing because it really does go farther than we even know.

    Thanks for being such a wonderful influence in my life!

    Deawna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best, Deawna! Thanks for the encouragement. It's so great to see how you have followed your own Guidance, and where it has lead you! You are living proof that dreams do come true! Keep up the great work!
      Blessings,
      Bonnie

      Delete