Thursday, December 5, 2013

Transition vs. Transformation

How often have you heard someone say, "I'm in transition?"  How often have you said it?  In these last fifteen months I know I've said it countless times. 

What does it mean, being in transition?  The Miriam-Webster dictionary defines transition as "a change from one state or condition to another."

When I read that, it feels like a slipping from one place to another, almost a lateral move, if you will. I don't necessarily get a sense of moving into something bigger or better, just different, (not necessarily good different either, although I'd hope it would be better than where I currently am, and certainly when I say it, that's my intention). But it doesn't fill me with a sense of power, or even particularly call to me as being something I'd aspire to.  It's almost as if it's somewhere I just ended up, unconsciously, unintentionally even.

But what if I were to say I'm in a period of transformation?  What visions or feelings or sensations does that conjure up?  Miriam-Webster defines it as " a complete or major change in someone's or something's appearance, form, etc."  

WOW!!!  When I read that, I certainly don't get the feeling that I could just slip into it unconsciously or unintentionally.  And for some reason, it feels much more powerful, much more expansive, than the word transition.  At least it does to me.  It feels like I'm stepping into something bigger, something better, something with greater potential, than if I simply say I'm 'in transition.'

Why am I thinking about this?  Because in a healing circle a few weeks ago, as each individual introduced himself/herself to the group, and I heard several people say "I'm in transition.", one person said, "I'm in a period of transformation.", and I was struck by the difference that choice of phrase made to me as the words came out of her mouth.

It felt powerful, uplifting, hopeful, big!  It felt life-affirming, and I commented on it as the implications of that power filled me. I thought to myself, I don't just want to be in transition anymore, I want to be in a period of transformation.  I want to be more.  I want to be bigger, better, higher. I am aspiring to be all that I came here to be, and I am doing it intentionally, with attention, and when I use the phrase, "I am in a period of transformation.", it feels so much more powerful, so much more positive, so much MORE of everything!  It has an energy, a promise inherent in the words, that I don't feel when I mouth the words, "I'm in transition."  And I like the feel of that energy, that promise.  It spurs me on, it makes me want to figure out the next step, take the next step, move forward. When I use the phrase, "I'm in a period of transformation.", I feel empowered.

So the next time someone asks me what I'm doing now, I'm going to use that woman's phrase, (Thank you, Linda!) and answer, "I'm in a period of transformation."

And each time I feel myself slipping into a state of lack-lusterness (is that even a word?)I'm going to repeat that phrase to myself and allow the power of those words to fuel my actions, because I'm not just slipping unconsciously into something else!  I am intentionally working to raise my vibration, expand my reach, and grow into my potential.

Words do have power, and I want the power of those words, my words, to take me higher!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment