Monday, November 4, 2013

I have more words!

After my last post, I experienced God at work again in my life.

That Saturday night, October 26, I decided not to go to church the next morning.  I hadn't gotten all the things done that week that I had planned to do, and figured I'd just use all day Sunday to catch up.  God had other plans for me.

I woke up Sunday morning just in time to watch Joel Osteen's program.  At the end of it, Joel introduced a pastor from a church here in Nashville called Oasis Church.  He encouraged those of us who were watching from the Nashville area to try out Pastor Danny and his church.  He also mentioned that everyone who attended the church that morning would receive a free copy of Joel's new book, Breakout!  5 Keys to Go Beyond Your Barriers and Live an Extraordinary Life.

Joel's been advertising this book on his program for the last several weeks, and although the title intrigued me, and I've felt a pull to buy the book and see what it had to offer, the frugal part of me hates to pay $26 for a book, regardless of what wisdom I might find within it!  Needless to say, I hadn't purchased it.  But here it was, being offered for free if I just went to the church.  "What the heck?" I thought, "Why not?"  So I quickly got dressed, mapquested the address and directions, and headed out the door.

The church was about eighteen miles away, tucked back in behind a plan of townhouses. It was an old elementary school that had been renovated for a new purpose.  The parking lot was filling rapidly as I pulled in, about ten minutes before the service was to begin.

I went inside and found the table where they had a display of the books, but found out I couldn't get one until I filled out the card that I would receive during the service.  Guess they wanted to make sure I heard their message before I got my hands on Joel's!

The service started with fifteen minutes of live loud music, with attendees standing and moving to the beat, clapping their hands, shouting amen and alleluia, as the singers onstage encouraged them on.  There were guitar players, a drummer, horns, and camera men videoing the performance so that it could be simulcast on the web.  Quite a show, and definitely not what I was used to, but I wasn't there for the service, just the book.  I just had to get through the service to get the book!

God has a way of letting me know if I'm really getting the messages I think I'm getting from her.  Most often it's through repetition, and often from a variety of messengers.  So why was I surprised when, in the first few minutes of Pastor Danny's sermon, he said, "If you want to go beyond where you currently are, you have to have a new perspective!" Huh?  Wasn't that just what I'd written in that last post?  I needed to change my perspective and call the emptiness I was  feeling, spaciousness.  And I even said that perhaps the spaciousness was to make room for something bigger, or different from what I'd known before!  Seemed like God just confirmed that I was on the right track. I love when that happens!

That wasn't the only 'nugget' that I gleaned from Pastor Danny's service that morning.  I noticed many of the people had notebooks with them, and were eagerly jotting down Pastor Danny's words.  I didn't have a notebook, but I did have my cell phone, which had a place for memos, so I began taking down a few notes of my own.  Here's just a sampling of the things that called to me, in case they might also have some meaning for you: 
      1.  You need a check up from the neck up! (Wow! How easy it
            is for me to get so caught up in my own egoic thoughts that
            I never give a second thought to the possibility that there is
            a better way to do something, even when my plans aren't
            working the way I thought they would!  Instead of opening
            myself to that possibility, and reevaluating my plan, I just
            keep blindly moving forward, often trying to make the
            circumstances fit the plan I already have.)
      2.  Write down your five year plan for your life: where do you
            see yourself in five years?  (I wrote a list of all the things I
            wanted in a partner, and look what happened when I did!
            But I never thought to write down a list of how I wanted
            my life to look in five years.  After that sermon, I went
            home, got out my journal, turned to the back pages, and
            wrote out my list for my life!  Can't wait to see what  God
            does with that one!)
      3.  Faith has to have a target. (Makes sense. That's what the list
           is for.)
      4.  You cannot out dream God!  (I put BIG dreams on my list.)
      5.  Your passion will lead you to your purpose!  (It's worked
            that way so far!)
      6.  God shows us the promise, not the process! (Isn't that the
            truth?  I want to know how God's going to get me there, and
            darn it, I'm not going until I do! How often have you
            thought that?  If I'd held on to the need to know the how, I'd
            never have left Holy Family, never have opened The Place
            for Reiki, and certainly never have taken that trip to
            Alaska!)     
       7.  Adversity always precedes advancement.  (Hmmm, maybe
            if I can just keep this in mind as I take these new steps
            forward, I'll be able to keep a more positive attitude, which,
            in the long run, should serve me far better than all the
            negative thinking I can heap on myself when challenges
            arise, including the thought that I made the wrong choice to
            begin with!)

There were more bits of wisdom for me in that sermon, but since I started out talking about the book, and being called to take a look at it, I just want to let you know that God continued to repeat the messages about expansion and new ideas in the pages of Joel's book.   

And God's not the only one who uses repetition to get the messages across to me.  Joel's book is filled with repetition, so much so that I almost quit reading it.  But I stuck with it, and on page forty-one I read something else that just seemed to go along with everything else that is currently happening in my life.  Joel wrote, "....[God] can give you one new idea that will catapult you to a new level." 

I had to laugh when I read it, because I read it the morning after I sent out the email with the new idea about the distant healing circle, actually saying in the email that perhaps this was the idea that was going to take me to a new level!  Coincidence?  I don't think so!

And later in the book, Joel also says,  "God meets us at the level of our faith.  If you ask small, you'll receive small."   Well, that seems to fit with that sense of spaciousness I wrote about in the last post, and my comment that perhaps I'm holding a space for something bigger than I'm accustomed to.   But if I am unaccustomed to it, how can I know what to ask for?  

I think if I leave it up to God to fill that space without any direction from me, She will most likely fill that space with what She thinks is best, based on who I've been in the past.  But if I'm feeling that I'm to do more, that I'm to reach out in bigger ways than I have before, then I think I need to let God know that I'm willing to do that.  So I'm going to start doing what Joel suggests, and ask God to do the unthinkable in my life.  I'm going to ask with a boldness I've never articulated before, taking away any restraints or any preconceived ideas of what my life can look like (based on what my logical, rational mind can imagine), and just allow God to work in ways that I can't even begin to conceive of.  I think I'm going to start repeating, over and over again, "Thank you, God, for taking me further faster than I can even imagine!" 

And then I'm going to hold onto my hat! 






6 comments:

  1. I love what you wrote here Bonnie. I feel joy for you and what you have been receiving through God. Wonderful joy!! When you visited Pittsburgh, I remember telling you I was happy that you have started back to church. Again, joy flood my soul hearing this!! It is hard to explain why. Just that real joy is felt for you. Praise God!!

    You mentioned in one of your blogs about Joel Esteen's book "I DECLARE 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life." I went to the bookstore to see what it would cost. When I saw what it cost I decided to wait until my next pay check to purchase it. I said to myself, "If it is meant for me to read it then God will make away for me to receive it, " never thinking much more about it after that day. I know I would buy it at some point.

    Well… God had other plans for me to receive it sooner. I was invited to go to the reward dinner for employees who have served working for Country Meadows for 5 years or more. You have to be working for Country Meadows for 5 years before you can go to the dinner, unless someone invites to you along. A co-worker invited me to go in place of his wife since his wife did not want to go this year. So I said, "Yes! I would go!." I am not much of a party person. I never have been. So, I almost decided not to go. I almost changed my mind. Not sure why it is hard for me to be around a large group of people. Anyway, I went. The speech they gave at the dinner was about "I DECLARE." On each table was the book, "I DECLARE 31 Promises to speak Over Your Life," by Joel Osteen.

    Yes… there it was. I wonder if they were giving it away to someone special or what they were doing with the books. They never said what they were doing with the books. Odd I thought. They just sat on the center of each table. I decided to ask when the program was over if could I buy the book from them? When the program was done I ask the director what they were doing with the books. She said that if I took one she would never be the wiser to who took it. Meaning, to say to me, it was alright to take one home with me. I also have a book written by Kevin & Kathy Basconi that is similar to Joel's book called, "31 Word Decrees That Will Revolutionize Your Life." It is pretty close to Joel's book. I believe God has been telling me to read these decrees. Now I know God wants me to read them.

    In the book "I DELCARE" on day two, the words really caught my attention, " I DECLARE I will experience God's faithfulness. I will not worry. I will not doubt. I will keep my trust in Him, knowing that He will not fail me. I will give birth to every promise God put in my heart and I will become everything God created me to be. This is my declaration." and then I read day three. Okay, okay, okay. I really need to read this for God indeed is reaching out to me through His words in this book. I believe God is reaching me through these other books because I have not been reading His written book enough. "HIS Bible." Plus, I need to focus on the positive not on the negative.

    More changes are going on at work. I have struggled on what I should do at work, where I should go, what I should do. Now I see. I need to take out the struggle and replace it with I DECLARE God is guiding me through all these changes in my life. I DECLARE God has a divine plan for me and for us at work. I DECLARE God is going to open new doors, all I need to do is TRUST in God. I DECLARE I will experience God's FAITHFULNESS. God Will not fail me.


    You are missed here in Pittsburgh. It is great that we can continue to be a part of each others lives through internet, through your Blog. I know you had to move to Nashville in order for me to also grow and move on. I have some difficulty in change, if you had stay in Pittsburgh, I would have had problems going on my own to where God wants me to go. I would have lean too much on you and not enough on GOD.

    Many Blessings and much love Bonnie. Thank you for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story, Rebecca! Thanks for sharing it. It's very obvious God wanted you to read that book, and to not have to pay for it! As you continue to follow His guidance, you will continue to see more and more opportunities open up for you. and I'm hearing you might also want to take a look at the teachings of Abraham, through Esther and Jerry Hicks..... it's all about being positive and how much more good you can attract into your life when you think, act and feel positive. Just a thought. Many blessings.

      Delete
  2. As I read your message I felt chills run through my body as I read the part where "I'm hearing you might also want to take a look at the teachings of Abraham, through Esther and Jerry Hicks." I know this is conformation that I should take a look at the teachings of Abraham. The Angels really get my attention when I receive chills throughout my body. Thank you Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay attention to those chills, Rebecca. So glad I paid attention to the message to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on the internet right away after you mentioned "I may want to look into the Teachings of Abraham, through Esther and Jerry Hicks." Since I felt the chills when I read the message you received for me, I knew it was important to check it out. I found their website and all I can say is, "The tears & emotions came pouring out of me." I do not know why. I do not know where they came from but they came flooding out of me. I did not hold them back. I allowed myself to release whatever needed to come out. I felt that my dad had a part in your message for me. Maybe that is why the tears came pouring out? I could see my dad giving me the message just as he would have done when he lived on earth. I also could see more then just my dad giving you that message.

    I was able to listen to the audio messages from Abraham free on their website. It was a lot to take in but I can go back at anytime to listen again. They have many audio cd's, books, DVD's and videos I can purchase. Now it is a matter of knowing which one to buy. I know I will receive a message at some point on which one that will be. God will make away for me to either buy it or as it has happened before with "I DECLARE," it will be given to me. Thank you again Bonnie for the message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for affirming that what I got for you was on target , Rebecca. And I'm so glad that you followed up on it and looked at the website. I forgot there were a lot of free audios to take advantage of, and I agree that when the time is right , you will know which ones you should purchase. And it's difficult for me to say why you had such an emotional outpouring.... perhaps because what you heard resonated so deeply for you, as well as connecting you with your father. Whatever the reason, it's obviously just what you needed. One step at a time... just continue to follow your heart. many blessings, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete